Where Should the Puppy Sleep?  

Posted by — Kim in , , , , , , , , , ,

Here's a great article that I thought I would pass on...hope you find it helpful! –Kim

Brand New Puppy? Let Them Sleep Near You

by Sarah Wilson, Dog Expert
September 17, 2013
A trainer friend came in the door looking haggard. Her new client puppy cried off and on all night crated in her kitchen. "I'm exhausted" she said, stating the obvious.

She got a hug then this advice, "Put the puppy's crate next to your bed."

She looked surprised. "I've always heard I should let them cry it out." she stated.

That is common advice and I used to say it, too. I was wrong.

Allowing your new puppy to sleep near you for a week or so makes things epically easier for everyone. Here are the benefits:
  • You sleep which is critical to you being the sort of puppy person you planned on being.
  • You can hear when your pup gets restless so can take them to their potty area before the crate is wet or the pup is upset.
  • Your pup gets to bond more to you.
  • Your family and spouse isn't stressed by the constant crying.
  • Ditto your neighbors, if you have some close by.
  • Your puppy gets critical rest after the stress of changing homes, leaving the litter, etc.

The pup in this story had been spayed the week before at 8 weeks, been vaccinated, flown across the country, landed in a new home for two days, been given a heartworm preventative, flea and tick treated and wormed for parasites all before coming to my friend. All that totals up to an assault on her tiny system and I advised quiet and lots of sleep for the next few days, at least, to give her little body a chance to recover.

Once your new friend is sleeping through the night and is calmly crating during the day, then the crate can move to the kitchen. This is my standard routine now and it works great.

My most recent student, Button, was screaming her adorable lungs out when left alone day one, then crating quietly by day five. Having her next to my bed those first five days made life easier for both of us.

Now you know.

Enjoy!

PS - If you like my blogs, you'll love my e-mails.



Also, see:


This entry was posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 at Saturday, September 21, 2013 and is filed under , , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

List of No-kill Shelters and Rescues

List of No-kill Shelters and Rescues: 
NATIONAL SEARCH
Find local shelters near you! LOCAL SEARCH
You can adopt or foster from any of these shelters or donate to support their efforts. Be sure to confirm that they are a "no-kill" shelter. Then, be a part of the solution!

<< – Newer Posts / Older Posts – >>
CLICK HERE FIRST; THEN CLICK THE PAGE LINK BELOW.